Friday, September 14, 2007

Gymnastics, AWANA, & Swimming Lessons

Well, I thought I should give you all an update about what has been going on this week. Tuesday Night Jon had his first gymnastics class at Crowley's Gymnastic Center in Oakdale. Jon had gone with his friend from preschool, Christopher, last year when it was bring a friend night. Ever since than, he had wanted to go to Gymnastics class. We didn't sign him up in the summer because he was in T-ball, so this fall we gave him the option of Gymnastics or Soccer. He choose Gymnastics. I didn't really know what to expect since I have never been there. It was a small older gym, but I had heard great things about the center. When we walked in they showed us around and the lady said you wait here until Ms. Mary calls the class up. His class was actually upstairs and not in the big main area where the older kids practice. Jon is very excited to be able to get to that level. Any way, we all went upstairs and they had an area for the parents to watch. I was thankful that there was 2 other boys in the class. They sat in a circle on the mat and stretched out. Poor Jon wasn't too flexible. Hopefully that will come with more classes. They were also using terms that Jon has never heard before and they sent him home with picture on what the terms were. Like a bridge, a pencil, the 'C' and finish. Then they split them up into 2 groups and got to do the vault and floor, bars, and balance beam. I was actually really surprised on how well Jon did. He actually does a pretty good cartwheel. Some of the parents were surprised on how well he did as well since this was his first class. After the class was done we went back downstairs and he asked me if I was going to buy him a suit. I told him we will have to see and I'm not sure if Daddy wants you in one of them. Plus the teacher said that shorts and a tank top was fine. If he really gets into Gymnastics, I will probably get him one, but for now I am going to stick with shorts and a tank top.

Wednesday nights Nicholas has AWANA, which is like a christian cubs scouts. It is actually ran by our neighbors Shawn and Paula at their church. Jon was in it last year, but he will be starting Faith Formation at our church next month so we did not sign him up in AWANA this year. Nicholas is a Cubby with 3 and 4 year old is his class. They read passages from the bible and even has little short verses they have to memorize. They wear a vest and get patches for all their accomplishments.

Tonight they both have swimming lessons at the YMCA. Jon is a Ray this year and Nicholas is starting out as a Pike 1. This is Nicholas' first time having swimming lessons without me in the water with him. He is pretty excited. It will be fun watching both of them at the same time. My friend Amy signed up her daughter Sylvia in Nicholas' class as well, so it will be good seeing her Fridays.

Well, that is it for now. More updates to come!

No comments: